I love, love, love having natural hair! I think that going natural is one of the best things that I have ever done and I will never go back to the creamy crack! Side note: As I have said before I do not knock ladies who rock relaxed hair because they have beautiful hair as well. After having natural hair for a while I have learned so many things which has made me love my hair even more.
First things first… This is what I have learned about being natural and what has worked for me! I am not an expert on natural hair nor will I ever be but I wanted to share a few tips with you all and what I have learned about having natural hair.
1. Love your natural hair and do not compare it to others! Natural hair comes in all types whether it is curly, kinky, or coily so learn to love your hair type for what it is.
2. When I first went natural I was addicted to watching every natural vlogger known to man on YouTube and trying all of the products they used! There is nothing wrong with getting tips from other naturals but don’t get caught up in the hype. The beginning stage of being natural is very important because that is when you learn what does and doesn’t work for you hair. So do not let YouTube hold you hostage!
3. Don’t become a product junkie! Buy a few products at a time instead of multiple at a time. Also, try samples first before buying full sizes which can save you some money! I try samples ALL the time especially for pricey products because I do not want to have products that I am not using catching dust! Yes, products by major brands are great too but inexpensive products work just as great.
4. Don’t be afraid to try DIY hair concoctions! I love making some of my own hair products! This route is inexpensive and you’d be surprised to see what you have in your pantry that you can use in your hair. When I pre-poo my hair I mix coconut and olive oil together which works like magic all of the time. I make a protein treatment using mayonnaise, honey, coconut and olive oil, and sometimes I add an egg to it. However, I do not use DIY products for everything because I know my limits!
5. Natural hair is so versatile! Don’t be afraid to try new styles with your hair. Some will turn out right the first time and others will take some time but without trial and error you will not know what works for you.
6. The puff is your best friend! You will have days where your hair just won’t cooperate with you and the puff will be at your rescue every single time. Side note: For most of my freshman year of college I wore my hair in a puff! It was my go to style while I was still trying to learn my hair.
7. If it works for your hair keep doing it! There is soooooo many myths about natural hair but if your routine is working for your hair forget about what others think. This has been one of the best things that I learned about my natural hair! As long as your hair is healthy and growing that is all that matters.
8. Taking vitamins is a plus! I take Biotin along with a Pre-natal vitamin and it has worked wonders for my hair. Side note: Yes, I take pre-natal vitamins and NO I am not pregnant! My doctor suggested that I start taking them because they have everything that you need in them.
9. Getting your hair trimmed is a must! I get my hair trimmed every three months and that has been a key factor with my hair growth.
10. Your natural natural hair is growing even when you don’t think it is! Be patient, give it lots of TLC, and you will see the results!